A year ago, almost to the day§, I wibbled about crowdsourcing blog maintenance. Here’s the rationale behind the concept:
I bet your blog is like mine in that it has lots of new posts going on the top which get all the attention, and very little action for all those leading up to it, no matter how deserving they might be. Some content doesn’t age well, it’s true, and perhaps some of that deserves to be culled: but then again, some content does stand the test of time. With an ever-increasing repository of blog posts, it becomes more and more difficult to do effective housekeeping.
The idea — getting together to help each other maintain old content — appeared to be well received at the time… but I haven’t followed through, and I apologise for that. I also realise now that my Cunning Plan may have been perceived as an attempt to encourage you, Dear Reader, to visit more pages on my site; I assure you that this was not my intent. In the revised Plan, I’m turning this on its head: if you choose to participate, I will visit a random page on your site, and then leave it up to you whether you want to reciprocate.
- If you want to take part, please use the form below to indicate your interest.
- I will then use the ‘?random’ thingy to visit a page on your site.
- If the page I visit is OK, all is well (and maybe I’ll have enjoyed the trip).
- However, if there’s something wrong with the page (link rot, broken images or missing embedded videos, typos, out-of-date content, that kind of thing) I’ll leave a comment on that page (or try to get in touch with you some other way) to alert you to the need to investigate…
- … and then — if you choose to — you visit a ?random page on Wibble to return the favour. If you do that and let me know you have, I’ll go back to (2) above for another trip on the merry-go-round!
What say you? Are you in? Of course you are! Join ?Random Raiders!
§ It can’t be exactly to the day, because last year was a leap year, and that post was published on 29Feb2020. The next true anniversary of my original post on this concept will be on 29Feb2024. I’ve put a note in my diary to remind me… three years should be long enough to determine whether this idea has any legs, I think?