- The trouble with plastic waste
- How to ensure that your blog lives forever
- Human Population Through Time
- Unwinding the Human Predicament
- Bacteria in Bottles – an example of Exponential Growth
- “If you Ignore the recent Warming, There’s Been No warming”: Deniers Go Full Arm-Wave on Hansen’s 1988 Predictions
- Join the Amazon Boycott!
- Bite size climate science: the persuaders
- Turbo-boost your site by optimising images
- Please sign this petition!
- ... wait, what? balance Biodiversity Business Capitalism Climate Communication Computers and Internet consciousness Core thought crowdsourcing Culture Drama Economics Education Energy Environment Fantasy GCD: Global climate disruption Health History Just for laughs Ludditis memetics News and politics People Phlyarology Poetry Science Strategy
- My Tweets
Category Archives: … wait, what?
I made a mistake a few weeks ago. I need to back up a bit and explain something. I hate advertising. I think it’s the devil’s own backyard. Don’t get me wrong: There’s nothing wrong with hawking one’s wares; if … Continue reading
It took 200,000 years for our human population to reach 1 billion — and only 200 years to reach 7 billion.
From here, reproduced with permission from the author Jack Alpert of the Stanford Knowledge Integration Laboratory, with a hat tip to Damn the Matrix for pointing me in this direction: Note: this is an unfinished work, comments welcome alpert (at) … Continue reading
Professor Albert Bartlett famously said: The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function. A short while ago I published a wibblette that tried to explain the exponential function. Dr Bob Rich added a … Continue reading
Originally posted on Learning from Dogs:
S. Korea is the only country in the world with large-scale, commercial dog meat farms. Frankly, I wasn’t planning to publish a post today. But then in came an email from John Zande, he…
For this last day of my ‘three day quote challenge’ I offer you not one but two quotations: If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you … Continue reading
The thought process that ended with the decision to call my blog ‘Wibble’ is lost in the mists of time. But recreating that sequence of events isn’t all that hard…. I first encountered the word ‘wibble’ (some may maintain it’s … Continue reading
Welcome to day two of my ‘three day quote challenge’. ‘Day one’ is here. I need to thank rayoflight144 for presenting me with this challenge — I’ve just done so, with a pingback. Today’s nominations for three blogs to take … Continue reading
The Long Slow Goodbye Our world is dying. We are killing it. We pride ourselves on our adaptability, Yet we are locked in an anachronistic worldview: One that deludes us into believing That what once was will ever be. It’s … Continue reading