No series such as this would be complete without using the WordPress app* to compose and publish a blog post! Naturally, the theme of this post will be:
My experience with using the WordPress app
Well, so far, it’s been pretty painful. Trying to use this silly little keypad is far less satisfying, I can’t get the words out fast enough. I think I’m going to have to resort to the tried and trusted method soon, but I’ll persevere for a while.
The first hurdle I had to cross was logging in to WordPress on the ‘phone. For some time I’ve had a 50-character password on WordPress, via my password safe, and I tried logging in with that, but, for whatever reason (I suspect confusion between ‘0’ and ‘O’) it didn’t work. What also didn’t work was the WordPress ‘magic email login’ — I never got the promised email. So for the sake of a quiet life I changed the password to a less secure but more usable (in this environment) one. And logged in.
However, the app, though functional (in terms of being able to enter text) appears to be missing some fairly basic options, such as: I don’t see how to assign categories and tags; I want a ‘featured image’ but can’t see how to define one, and so on. In fact I think I’ve done all I can do here: it’s time to go back to the PC….
Ouch, that was really, really painful. It’s so much more pleasant being able to type properly again! My shoulders are aching from being hunched over that tiny screen… I say again, ‘ouch’. Why is it, I ask myself, that this new-fangled gadgetry has found itself such a huge niche in the human psyche? There’s got to be something I’m missing. Surely?
Went down t’ pub with my brother again last night. He showed me how to use the camera (including taking videos). Now, that’s something that may come in useful! … he said that all I would need is a micro-USB to USB cable (which I have) to be able to access the phone as though it’s just another hard drive. It works, after a fashion (I had to hunt around for the photos and videos, they weren’t in the expected ‘Pictures’ and ‘Movies’ folders, they were in the inscrutably named ‘DCIM/Camera’ folder).
So: after all of this, what have I learned on my adventures?
- You have to compromise your passwords to actually use the thing
- The battery life leaves something to be desired (only seems to last a day)
- You can have some entertaining chats via WhatsApp
- You can take pictures and videos with it
- There are a number of games and diversions available via ‘Google Play’
- You can shop online with it
- Payments can be made using it instead of a credit/debit card
- It can interface to your bank
- It can be used as an eBook reader
- You can read and compose emails on it
- You can use it as an alarm clock
- You can send txt messages with it
- Oh, and it can be used to make phone calls (including video phone calls)
I have to admit that’s quite an impressive list. Perhaps this device will grow on me; but to be perfectly frank, so far I really don’t see what all the fuss is about. Most of the things in this list I can accomplish much more comfortably using my desktop PC. I say again: what am I missing?
* Note: this link was added later; I couldn’t figure out how to add links to text in the WordPress app itself.