Why is nothing ever simple?
This post was originally a standard reblog, from Peter Sinclair’s ‘climate crocks’ site, of a post consisting mainly of a YouTube video. I noticed quite by chance recently that the video in Peter’s post — and so on my reblog too — had gone walkies. Given that this was a ‘gem’ that had taken ‘two days to compile’, I wanted to revisit it — and, of course, make it available to others again. So I got in touch with climatestate on vimeo, who kindly pointed me to a Vimeo copy. Hurrah! I thought….
Now, I’ve encountered problems with reblogs before (here’s a classic example). I tried to embed the new copy of the video here. However, although the editor allows me to embed a Vimeo video and renders it as a playable video in the editor, it just shows as a bare link in the ‘Preview’ mode and the updated post itself:
I sought help from a WordPress Happiness Engineer. Between us, we were able to confirm that this embedding failure only occurs on reblog posts; it works fine on normal posts. Unfortunately, it appears that there’s (currently) no way to to convert a ‘reblog’ post to a normal one. The only sensible way forward seemed to be to delete this post — but I don’t delete posts, as I don’t wish to contribute to link rot.
So, instead, I’ve done something I don’t normally do: replicate the content.
Original reblog (containing the dead YouTube video link) follows, as I am unable to remove it….
Postscript FAO WordPress: although I thought you’d fixed the ’emphasis not rendering as italics in reblogs’ problem (as the emphasised text in my other reblog bug rant now appears correctly), I see that the same problem has reared its head in this ‘addendum’. Ho, hum.
- Towel DayMay 25, 20227 months to go.
- The Magnitude of the Challenge
- How to celebrate being 42 every fourth year
- The secret to success
- Carl Sagan’s Pale Blue Dot
- I am not pendantry (I am me)
- The implausible green star hunter
- Confirmation that two-thirds of headline analyzers spout utter nonsense
- Some words, in memory of my father
- A unique opportunity (time-limited offer!)
- Pursue excellence – but accept that you’re only human
- Follow Wibble on WordPress.com
- ... wait, what? art balance Biodiversity Business Capitalism Climate Communication Computers and Internet Core thought crowdsourcing Culture Drama Economics Education Energy Environment Fantasy GCD: Global climate disruption Health History Just for laughs memetics News and politics People Phlyarology Poetry Reblogs Science Strategy
- My Tweets
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License